Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Word Work!

Hey Friends!!

I have been posting lots of pictures on Instagram of my classroom and my word work area. I have had a lot of teachers asking what word work I use and commenting that they liked the labels I created.

So.... I am going to share a little bit about my word word and I am also going to share a friends word work station as well!


This Year!!!


Last Year!!

The games have really stayed the same for the start of school however I am using my smaller shelf this year because I just feel that less games is actually a little better! I change these out around September - October.

Top of the shelf I always have my Read the Room, 
dry erase boards, and clip boards for write the room!

Shelf number 1 

first up is our Ipad - sight word practice
I have different lists that the students can use for this
The lists are normally already in the basket for them. 
They can sit with a friend and "text" sight words to each other :)

ZAP is next! It is a really simple and fun game to play
You right the students sight words on popsicle sticks and on about 
6 extra sticks write the word ZAP. When they get ZAP they have to put 
all their sticks and start over. The kids LOVE this game!

This is just my Rainbow Write the room!
The students take a clipboard from the top, a piece of paper, 
and a thing of crayons and off they go to write the room :)

Shelf Number 2

First one up on this shelf is the Sandwich Maker
It is just all of the students sight words on items that look like bread, 
meat, cheese, etc. They use the flippers to make sight word sandwiches. 
(Can't remember where I got this specific one, but my 
friend Jess at Two Friends in First has one for sale)

This is something old I made in college for Kindergarten, but at the beginning of the year it comes in handy! Just a match the picture to the correct umbrella digraph.

Tower Power!! Another student favorite! They stack the cups that they can read to build
a very large tower. If they do not know the word they cannot use it to build the tower. 
It gives them incentive to practice!!

Shelf Number 3

These are letter tiles for the students to practice word building with. They are new - someone game them to my this summer so I am going to try these. Typically I have the pizza pans with magnetic letters
but I decided to put those somewhere new this year! 

This is another old game from Kindergarten. It is all the color words and basic K sight words written on  cutouts of frogs, flowers, and bugs. The students spread them out and SLAP the sight words they know! This game goes away quickly because most of the words are practice/review.

The last basket is also a NEW one for me! I saw these at the Learning Supply store and
I could not help but get them. They fit on lined paper so that the students have to make 
sure they are using top, middle, and bottom lines. The best part is that they are 
transparent so the children can see where they are placing it and how close it is to 
other letters or words. Wish me good-luck! I hope this one goes alright!


My teammate does things a little different in her room.. but I love the way she does it!
In all the pictures below you will see that she provides the students with different ways to create letters and words. I got to see her kids using the pipe cleaners last year and they loved it. They were spelling out words and reading them to one another! It was awesome!!




Then she stores all of her word lists in these (THAT I LOVE!!) and it is located right next to the shelf!


I do have some other items for sale in my TPT store that I use for Word Work

My FAVORITE!! Is my Taco Tuesday. I am sure you have read my many blog posts about how it helped to ramp up engagement and got the students really excited! 

Well here are some pictures if you have forgotten! 



























The packet includes both phonics and math games!
It is a really great price for all that you get. Those of you who have purchased 
things from me before know that I load my packs with lots of goodies! 
Click HERE to get it and LOVE it! 


The other one I have posted in my store right now is an ice cream word work


If you click this picture it will take you to my store where you can find more information!!

NOW if you are still READING this blog post you are going to see that you can have the labels on my word work bins for FREE!! :) Hope you enjoy them. Click the picture below to take you to my TPT store!





11 comments:

  1. These word work games are great! I am a special education teacher and will have first and second graders this year, so these should work great for both groups. Thanks for the inspiration! Did you make your Tower Power activity or buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am so glad that you like them! I should have given more detail about the Tower Power!! It is just a Pringles can washed out, covered in paper, and small drinking cups from the grocery store. I used the small clear ones because they are more sturdy than the paper ones. The best part is you have to eat the Pringles to make the game :)) Then just write the sight words on the cups. Be sure to flip the cup upside down first and write them. I hope that makes sense!

    Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE all of your word work ideas! My goal today was to get mine organized and you gave me several ideas! Thanks so much! Your "Taco Tuesday" centers are too cute! They are in my "wishlist!" Thanks for sharing!

    Marcy
    Saddle Up For 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcy,

      Thanks for stopping by! I am glad you found some things that you like! Yeah my Taco Tuesday was my "baby" last spring. I want to add more but the file is so large I am going to break it all apart and then add :)

      Smiles,
      Autumn

      Delete
  4. Ohmygosh, Autumn! Your room is so bright and cheery, and I love how many options you put out at word work!! Also, Taco Tuesday is pretty much the coolest thing.

    Andrew
    Mr. First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the word work ideas that you have for your students! My colleagues and I were looking for fun word work activities to use for the first half of the year that our firsties would be able to complete independently and I can't wait to share these ideas with them!

    Jessica
    The Teacher Talk*

    ReplyDelete
  6. For your iPad sight word practice did you just use a laminated image?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What image did you use for your ipad sight word practice? Your taco tuesday is in my tpt cart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Casey!

      Thanks for stopping by! A friend of mine actually made those for us, but so many people have requested them that they are my new todo list. I am hoping I should be able to get them done by the end of the week! I must say Taco Tuesday is my baby!! I love those games and the energy it brings to my classroom!

      I hope this helps :)

      Autumn

      Delete
  8. I love all the fun word work ideas!
    I used to teach middle school, but now I am homeschooling my 6 and 7 year old -- these ideas are sure to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, I was wondering where I can get those colorful Word Work labels that you said your teammate made? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete